As I was washing my brushes the other day, I felt like this picture pretty much summarizes what the past two weeks have been like…colorful! It was set-up week at the school I work at and were taking down all the old things off the walls to get ready for the new school year. The funny part about set-up to me is the idea that we painstakingly create these detailed murals for the children to enjoy all year-long (and when I say painstakingly, I mean like stay up till 2 a.m.!), but come August..it’s burn baby burn!! We rip down those book corner murals like it’s nobody’s business!
So anyways, this year during set-up I was eager to put up some wall art that could really put my artistic juices to work! In the past we have loved using paper materials (such as butcher paper, poster board, and construction paper), which have always worked great, but me being a member of Green Peace,..well it just felt like perhaps this year we should take a “greener” approach to murals. 🙂
We used virtually no paper this year for many of the wall we did in our classes, and instead opted for left-over wallpaper that a co-worker’s husband was about to toss out.
With a hefty roll of wallpaper, a large iced coffee, paint, paint brushes and some killer tunes…I got to work. When I first started painting on the wallpaper I was thinking to myself,”This is AWESOME! How come we’ve never done this before?!”,but by day three, as the paint started to resist and chip away from the wallpaper and tiny spasms of panic/anguish bubbled up in my stomach, it felt more like,”Alright…that’s why.” But back to my earlier thought of “this is AWESOME!”, the wallpaper truly did feel like an awesome surface to paint on because it was almost like painting on canvas (texture-wise) and at the end of the year, instead of throwing it away, we could just roll it up and save it for another year (green-thinking!).
Luckily enough, my co-workers husband who gave us the wallpaper suggested that we prime the wallpaper this time to ensure that the paint would adhere properly. I washed down the artwork with water ( thank you water-based paint!) and this time primed the surface of the wallpaper and here are some of the murals I came up with! Tah-Daaaahhh!
And now here are some paintings I did actually on butcher paper, because we ran out of the wallpaper. I incorporated these images in the blog because I’m quite happy with the way my animals turned out! 🙂
As usual, we stayed working on the classrooms until the wee hours of the night, but after we saw the results of our efforts, we were quite pleased…and tired 😉